The Genentech Sustainable Operations team is responsible for assuring that Genentech achieves Roche's 10-year ambition to reduce environmental footprint by half for Genentech US network operations as well as achieve its longer term 2045 zero emissions targets. The team works cross-functionally across Genentech sites and Pharma Technical (PT) functions to develop and scale solutions to meet environmental sustainability goals including energy, water, and emissions goals. The team is also accountable to set strategies and lead efforts to decarbonize Genentech's operations.
As Senior Director of Sustainable Operations, you will be accountable for achieving corporate and global PT network sustainability goals related to Genentech operation. You will be a member of the Site Operations Leadership team consisting of FOM (Facilities, Operations & Maintenance), FSPE (Facilities Systems & Plant Engineering) and MOLS (Material Operations & Lab Services). You will lead and empower a customer focused team that works cross-functionally to drive change in order to achieve sustainability goals efficiently and cost effectively. You will also partner regionally and globally to ensure these outcomes are coordinated and achieved in an alignment with the network's broader strategic intent.
Organizational & People Leadership
* Provide organizational leadership / management: strategic vision, strategy and execution plans to enable organization to deliver key business results through transformational leadership roles of Visionary, Architect, Coach and Catalyst (VACC).
* Develop organizational capabilities to meet the needs of a dynamic organization. This includes use of key business metrics to drive performance, and recruiting, developing and retaining key talent for the organization.
* Develop staff and achieve high engagement. Foster an inclusive and diverse culture, in support of Site Services and Genentech D&I strategy.
* Given the highly regulated environment, ensure services are delivered in compliance with OSHA, cGMP, environmental, and other regulations.
* Ensure effective and efficient business processes are in place. Leverage agile behaviors and mindset, LEAN continuous improvement methodologies, innovation and business metrics.
Regional Key Strategic Accountabilities
* Oversee and support aspects of a +$400M program for Genentech sites including SSF, OCN, VV, HiT, HTO, and KDC to achieve eco-balance and Zero Greenhouse Gas emissions goal with innovative technologies that optimizes natural capital utilization and enhances resiliency while meeting Roche's K6 directive requirements.
* Collaborate closely with Genentech's sites Facilities & Engineering teams, PT functions (MSAT, Quality, Engineering), Corporate functions (Procurement, Finance), Roche Dia and Group SHE to ensure alignment and prioritization of the portfolio of Eco-balance Action Plans (EAPs).
* Drive an effective, cross-functional governance process to enable strategic alignment, investment decisions, and visibility to portfolio status and health.
* Facilitate portfolio level intake and ensure sustainability projects are prioritized in the context of the broader portfolio to meet Pharma vision goals by utilizing the hub and spoke set-up of SSF Site Services supporting HTO, HIT, VV & OCN.
SSF Operational Decisions
* Responsible for an annual operating budget of ~$40 million for the SSF campus.
* Oversee energy and water reduction program to identify and implement projects to reduce utility consumption and cost. Use outcome-based planning and OKRs for setting targets and monitor progress.
* In partnership with FSPE's Asset Management team, ensure energy and water-related projects are included in Site Ops' 5-year Outlook capex portfolio management process and work with Design & Construction (D&C) for funding and project execution.
* Create and manage annual consumption and cost budgets. Include ongoing forecast adjustments with monthly reporting. Work with utility providers and consultants to forecast future rates.
* Create and implement a utility consumption and CO2 reduction management plan to meet the xxxx-xxx9 eco-balance business goal. Report annual plans and progress to Genentech Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and Roche.
* Manage and track energy and water consumption. This includes creation of reports, trends, and KPIs that will identify opportunities to reduce cost, improve efficiency, and show progress toward meeting goals.
* Ensure efficiency projects managed by the Energy and Water team meet return on investment (ROI) and total cost of ownership (TCO) objectives.
* Ensure that work managed by the Energy and Water Team meets all Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), Genentech and Roche requirements and is in full alignment with our business partners.
* Work cross-functionally to identify, develop and implement programs to reduce utility consumption and improve efficiency of site HVAC, process utility, lighting and water systems.
* Procurement management of bulk natural gas and electricity commodities are to be in line with strategic plan and budget, at competitive prices that meet Roche and Genentech business goals.
* Business continuity support through energy crisis: blackouts, brownouts, planned grid maintenance, curtailments, etc.
Collaborations & Partnerships
* Work with procurement and vendors to define the best commodity procurement strategies, timetables and contract terms. Create one- or multiple-year commodity contracts for natural gas and electricity.
* Be a proactive project team member with large and small project organizations (PTT and D&C) to ensure that Roche K18 directive and water efficiency are included in SSF projects (and facilitate in the broader Genentech network as deemed appropriate).
* Work with customers, EH&S and within Site Services to communicate sustainability programs, projects and work being managed by the Energy and Water Team.
* Build strong relationships across functions and work together to create a shared vision, ownership, and follow-through by activating the necessary change management, navigating difficult trade-offs, landing quick wins, and influencing vital changes in and across each organization's processes and behaviors.
* Proactively bring industry-leading innovation by tapping into the innovative environment and companies in proximity to SSF and scale innovative solutions to Roche network.
* Adopt and share technical innovations, best practices, and benchmarking information with the Pharma Community of Practice (CoP) Sustainability and Group SHE communities.
Service Provider Management
* Management of utility providers to ensure reliable electricity, gas, and water are provided to each building aligned with Genentech's electrification and water strategies.
* Manage the program to obtain utility provider engineering services, rebates, and credits per California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) guidelines.
* Management of building automation vendors (~$2M annual service contract).
* Bachelor's Degree in engineering, architecture, science, sustainability, technology, or equivalent practical experience.
* 15 years of professional experience in energy and sustainability management, preferably in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
* Certified Energy Engineer (CEM), Project Management Professional (PMP) and Master's degree in Engineering with a preference for Environmental or Mechanical Engineering is a plus.
* Strong knowledge of corporate directives and global as well as local legislations related to energy and resource conservation and sustainability.
* Leadership experience influencing and collaborating across large scale organizations and networks to deliver existing and new programs.
* Ability to take initiative with excellent attention to detail and data-driven decision-making skills.
* Leadership style that encourages collaboration, cooperation, and teamwork.
* Demonstrated ability to be decisive, resourceful and innovative, and calm under pressure.
* Demonstrated success at developing plans/strategies and implementing to deliver results.
* Needs to build and foster effective client relationship and collaboration skills to manage multiple and complex business relationships.
* Effective with written and verbal communications to a wide variety of audiences such as senior management, peers, customers and suppliers and employees.
* Experience with compiling and adhering to budget guidelines.
* Self-motivated and self-directed, with demonstrated leadership, collaborative, and mentoring skills.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location of California is $209,600 - $258,900. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. A discretionary annual bonus may be available based on individual and Company performance. This position also qualifies for the benefits detailed at the link provided below. Benefits
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation